CITY OF BULAWAYO
POSITION: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES (BUILDING AND HOUSING)
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES (BUILDING AND HOUSING)
The following position has arisen within the City of Bulawayo
||Assistant Director of Housing and Community Services (Building and Housing Branch) – (Grade 13)
||POST REPORTS TO
||Director of Housing and Community Services
- The incumbent to provide visionary leadership to the Branch
- To direct operations for the Branch, oversee budgets, set departmental goals and objectives, coordinates assessment efforts, monitor and evaluate and review programme/projects implementation strategies and outcomes to ensure efficient, effective and responsive delivery of service
- Functional head of Council’s built environment
||MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES/JOB SUMMARY
- The incumbent is responsible for the delivery of adequate, decent, qualitative and affordable housing and relevant support social infrastructure in the City with full participation of stakeholders.
- Ensuring the efficient, effective administration and management of Council leased properties to ensure good returns on investment.
- Provision and management of community infrastructure and facilities in a sound manner for the benefit of the residents/and other stakeholders.
- Environmental management and conservation to ensure an aesthetic city and its environs
- Promotion and development of the informal sector (SMEs)
- Project Management
- Attendance to Council’s disciplinary and grievance process as and when required.
The incumbent will be responsible among other issues for:
- The initiation of development plans for housing estates as well as implementation strategies thereof.
- Overseeing the administration of housing estates throughout the city.
- Drafting a wide range of reports to Council Committees
- Preparing Capital and Revenue budget estimates in collaboration with Council’s Treasury Directorate
- Ensuring speedy and correct implementation of Council decisions relating to the Branch
- Coordination and management of Council’s Building and Housing sections
- Head the Construction and Maintenance, Architectural, Quantity Surveying, Building Inspectorate and Control , Housing, Parks and Lands Inspectorate Sections
- Ensure all construction building projects comply to Municipal Bye- laws and relevant legislation
- Manage and administer all social housing programmes, services and properties
- Maintain and manage a Housing Waiting List Register in compliance with both Council and government policies
- Oversee the allocation of stands and business premises in compliance to Council policy
- Environmental Management in liaison with relevant arms of central government
- 1. Degree in Social Sciences, or Development Studies, or Urban Studies, or Land, or Estate and Property Management, or Architect, Quantity Surveying, or Project Management
- 2. A relevant Masters Degree will be an added advantage
- 3. Membership to appropriate professional bodies
||EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 7 years working experience in management preferably in the Housing and Building environment
- Knowledge of Housing management legislation, building control, construction and relevant government policies as well as understanding of current housing policy issues.
- Knowledge of the legislation governing Council operations.
- Project management
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills and demonstrable ability to build productive work teams
- Thorough understanding of Council’s financing procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy
- Possession of unendorsed Class 4 Driver’ s Licence
||The salary payable reflects the seniority of the post and it is backed by benefits which include contributory pension fund, a Medical Aid Scheme, generous vacation and sick leave and essential car user allowances. The details of the remuneration package will be revealed to the short listed applicants only.
Applications marked ‘Confidential, Assistant Director Housing and Community Services (Building and Housing) should be sent along with a comprehensive CV and copies of relevant academic/professional certificates supported by 3 professional traceable referees, to reach:-
NB: Incumbency to public office is subject to possession of a clean criminal record. (Police Clearance)
Applications to reach:
The Human Resources Manager
City of Bulawayo
P.O Box 591
OR Drop applications to:-
Room 218 2nd Floor
The Municipal Buildings (City Hall)
L. Takawira Avenue/Fife Street
Not Later than 27th November, 2017
ADVERT NO : 6201
DATE : 17th November, 2017
C. DUBE TOWN CLERK