ESTABLISHMENT, FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF THE POLICY
2.1 Establishment Of Policy
This is the Bulawayo City Council Public Transport system which shall be responsible for all the management, running, monitoring and evaluation of the Bulawayo Public transport System.
2.1.1 Objectives and functions of Policy:
Subject to this Policy the Bulawayo City Council shall have the following Principal objectives-
- 1. To ensure the provision of a safe and efficient transportation system that meets the needs of the people during the plan period as per the City of Bulawayo Master Plan.
- 2. To promote and create a well controlled, efficient and coordinated public transport system with the full participation of all stakeholders.
- 3. To ensure that the appointed company or providers of public transport in Bulawayo are issued with permits
- 4. To provide sheltered lay-byes / pick up and drop off points at strategic points along all routes of the City. Such facilities to be convenient and safe to the commuting public.
- 5. To service all routes using a single company appointed by the Municipality for this purpose and such company to use properly licensed and registered vehicles.
- 6. To ensure that the appointed company/ operators adhere to all rules and regulations of Road Motor Transportation Act and have a clearly spelt out code of conduct as well as communication systems with the commuting public.
- 7. To ensure that users of public transport use only designated pick up and drop off points and understand that they are important stakeholders in the public transport business.
- 8. To communicate effectively the roles of all concerned stakeholders
2.1.2 Mode Of Transport
The following modes of transport shall be recognised by the Local Authority and are as spelt out in the Road Motor Transportation Act.
- 1. Motor Omnibus
- 2. Metered Taxis
- 3. Rail Transport
- 4. Airport shuttle service
- 5. Cycling
- 6. Foot/walking
- 7. Company schemes