"Hard work and respect of others"
The name of the school is St. Peters' Primary School. It refers to a place where
people can get help. The name was derived from the old school which is situated
near the new school. When the new school was built, most of the things in the old
school were handed over to the new school and as a result the name also. The old
school was owned by the Roman Catholic Church who named their school St. Peters'
deriving this name from the bible from Peter who was chosen to be one of Jesus'
follower and helper.
Enrolment and Staffing at Inception
||3 males and 5 females = 8
||130 boys and 171 girls = 301
Current Enrolment and Staffing
Location of School
Mazwi Village, Pumula, its situation at the western side of the Central
Business Centre about 22 km from city centre.
- Academic Excellence Award Certificate 1986
- Certificate of Excellence in Arts and Culture 2006
- Honours Award for Senior Choir 1982
- Second Class Award K.G. Choir 1982
- School Tree Growing & Tree Care Competition 2nd Prize 1993
- Athletics Floating Plague and Floating Trophy
- Clustering and Sporting
St. Peter's Primary belongs to Hyde Park South Cluster which includes
the following schools namely Dumezweni, Godlwayo, Robert Sinyoka and
Composition of Support Staff
The support staff is made up of the following:
- Is the financial advisor to Head on all matters concerning finance.
- Makes all purchasers for the school books stationery and cleansing materials.
- Keeps and maintains records of all school finances.
- Balances all the books of accounts and does petty cash transactions.
- Periodically checks all stock items in the storeroom.
- Supervises ancillary staff if bursar is away.
- Keeps pupils records.
- Keeps the admissions register and does the enrolment of all new pupils.
- Attends to all parents and visitors to the school and directs them forward
- Runs errands, collects and delivers mail.
- Cleans offices and does any other jobs delegated to him.
- Keeps buildings and school property secure.
- Sees to the cleanliness of all rooms.
- Ensures that grounds are clean.
- Does minor repairs.
- Keeps ground clean and tidy.
- Clean pupils' toilets.
- Maintain trees and lawns.
- The relationship between the support staff and the professional staff is good.
Role of Council in the Administration and Running of the School
The Council is the responsible authority. The Council makes sure that
any challenges that face the school are dealt with as a matter of urgency.
- Role of the PTA is to assist in the development of the school.
- Act as a link between the school and the community.
- To encourage the community to pay fees and levies of the school.
Challenges faced over the years in the running of the school
High rate of staff turnover which was caused by non-availability of
accommodation at the school although this problem has been dealt with.
Non-availability of reliable transport to ferry the teachers and pupils
- Negative attitude of some parents towards education.
- Resistance of parents to pay fees and levies for their children.
Low pass rate at Grade 7 level which had been caused by high rate of staff
Projections for the Future
- To lure most experienced teachers to the school in order to improve pass rate.
- To increase the number of teachers' cottages.
- To encourage parents to pay their dues for their children.
- To buy school-bus for the school.
- To buy school choir and drum majorettes uniforms.